Did you know that there is a monetary benefit that helps eligible veterans and their surviving spouses to pay for the assistance they need in relation to assisted living care?
According to the Veterans Association, in 2020, qualifying veterans and their spouses could be eligible for a VA Pension of approximately $2,266 per month to help cover the costs of elder care assistance.
Often there is a lot of questions that surface around this benefit. Do I qualify financially? Did I serve during a period that counts for this benefit? How to I apply?
Here are a few facts you should know:
1. You must be at least 65 or officially disabled if younger, to apply.
2. You must be considered a “wartime veteran”. This means the veteran must have served at least 90 days and at least 1 day during the wartime dates identified by the VA to qualify.
3. You must have discharged from the military on an honorable basis.
4. A surviving spouse must have been married to the veteran at the time of their death to be eligible for the benefit. If they remarry, they will not be eligible for benefits from their first marriage.
5. You do not need to be considered disabled, however those that are will qualify for a higher benefit.
6. There are income limits that apply to receive this benefit. We recommend having this reviewed by a financial advisor who specializes in the veteran’s benefit.
7. Many applicants wait 9-12 months to begin receiving their benefits, however it is a retroactive process if you can prove when you started paying for elder care.
8. Determining eligibility through a brief questionnaire is free, but there may be a fee involved for application assistance.
In addition to your local Veterans Affairs office and online resources, you can also reach out to one of our senior living experts at Residences at Coffee Creek who can connect you with the best resources regarding the Aid & Attendance Benefit.
Residences at Coffee Creek in Chesterton is proud to accept the Veteran’s Aid & Attendance Benefit and is home to many veterans who have served our country and use this benefit daily.
Residences at Coffee Creek has helped numerous families searching for information on this topic and frequently holds educational classes to educate our community on this very topic.
Located in Chesterton Indiana, Residences at Coffee Creek is an award winning, state-of-the-art residential senior living community offering licensed assisted living and memory support services.
To obtain further information, please call us at 219-921-5200 or visit our website at www.ResidencesAtCoffeeCreek.com.